“Norway in a Nutshell” is a famous itinerary/tour that goes through one of the most beautiful parts of this country.
Unlike you may think, this is not a formal tour. Instead, it is a series of transportation methods that take you through fjords, mountains, and the 2 most important cities in Norway
You could go from Oslo to Bergen, from Bergen to Oslo, or even do a roundtrip leaving and coming back to the same city.
You could book the whole tour online with companies like:
They will give you the tickets for all the segments of your trip: Train, bus, and fjord cruise.
You can also book everything on your own, save some dollars, and adapt the schedules to your plans.
For instance, we were in Bergen and did the tour leaving that city and coming back the same day, on January 1st.
We had 2 options:
- Leaving Bergen by train to Myrdal and return via Voss after doing the Flåm train and the fjord cruise.
- Leaving Bergen by train to Voss, then doing the fjord cruise first and the Flåm train second.
We picked the second option as it was winter and we wanted to see the fjords during daylight. If we picked the first option, we would have seen the fjords during the day, only for a portion of our trip, as the boat leaves almost at sunset.
- We left Bergen at 8:29 in a train to Voss.
- We bought the train tickets at www.vy.com for 749 Norwegian Krone for 2 adults and 2 children. IMPORTANT, don’t buy your train tickets in any other website. Note that there is no assign seating in this train.
- After one hour and 15 minutes we got to Voss train station. We got out of the building and took bus to Gudvangen. The bus stop is located to the left of the station and you can pay your tickets on board.
- 45 minutes later we got to where our cruise port was located, Gudvangen. You will have 40 minutes to change from the bus to the boat, which is plenty of time. There is a small hotel and cafe where you can get a drink or some food for the trip.
- The 2 hour boat trip takes you to the Aurlandsfjord, and the narrow and dramatic UNESCO-protected Nærøyfjord. Experience of a lifetime. Make sure to buy the tickets ahead on the www.norwaybest.com website. We paid 1600 krones for the four of us.